Thursday, May 31, 2012

Hello Farmer's Market

Spring is here! Even though we had a warm winter, the produce section at the grocery store is not that exciting. So going to Farmers Market for the first time this Spring was like waking up from a foggy dream. Baby vegetables, lettuce, ramps, green garlic. Coming from Kansas this is the first time I saw ramps. They look that the popular little onions that we found pickled in Brazil.  Got some beets and herbs too.
I have being a huge fan of Laura Calder show French Food at Home in the Cooking Channel. She shows amazing food and simple ways to cook. So I tried her Roasted beets and they were amazing.





 I bought them with the greens attached. I cut them and saved to serve with them (although I have to confess that I forgot them in the fridge!)
I just peeled the beets and left some of the greens. As they were small and skinny I just cut them in half and add some olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted in a 425 F/220 C oven for around 30 minutes or until they are soft when you try to poke them with a paring knife.
I bought some green garlic that I made a quick pesto blending them with olive oil, pine nuts and Italian parsley,salt and pepper, that I add to bowtie pasta.
It was delicious! The beets were very sweet and you can pick them up by the greens part and eat with your hands. Amazing! Too bad I am the only that tried it in my house as Big M and Little M don't eat beets. I guess more for me.





No comments:

Post a Comment